Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Carbon Monoxide Detector

The Fire Department has recently received reports from residents that their Carbon Monoxide detectors were activating in their homes, and they were unsure of what they should do.  

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an invisible odorless gas that comes from burning fossil fuels such as gasoline, wood, coal, propane, oil, and methane. When the fuels burn incompletely, CO is produced.  

If a CO detector activates, we can check your home with meters that we carry on our apparatus that can detect the presence of CO and we can validate the reasons for the detector's activation; you could be placing all of the occupants of your home in danger.  

If your detector activates, call 9-1-1 IMMEDIATELY and evacuate your home to await our arrival. 

Carbon Monoxide Alarms are required in all residential, apartment units and multifamily dwellings that use fossil fuel-burning appliances or have an attached garage. The alarm must be installed in a centrally located area near bedrooms and the fossil fuel-burning appliance and on every level of a dwelling, including basements. Exception: unfinished attics and crawl spaces.

Should you have any questions about CO or CO detectors, please contact the fire station at (610) 372-9621.